A Grave in a Haystack

Welcome back to my blog. Today, I will tell you about our journey to find my parents' grave site in Puerto Rico. After arriving in San Juan, we headed to my brother's place in Fajardo, preparing for the following day's trip. Our destination: Quebradillas, on the island's northwest side, to locate my parents' grave.



Upon arriving at the cemetery, I was shocked by its disorganized state. However, we were determined to find the site, as my parents wished to be buried in their hometown. My older brother's previous attempt six months prior had failed, making us anxious about our chances. After combing through the area for an hour and forty-five minutes, with the temperature rising, My younger brother Jose excitedly announced he had found the grave. We took pictures and captured an aerial photo for future visits.


In my research, I discovered my grandfather on my mother's side, Luis Ramos, was born in 1887 in Guajataca, Puerto Rico, during the reign of Alfonso XIII, King of Spain. Eleven years later, my grandmother also on my mother's side, Francisca Acevedo, was born, the same year the United States defeated Spain in the Spanish-American war. The Jones-Shafroth Act, granting Puerto Ricans U.S. citizenship, was enacted in 1917. I was honored to meet my grandfather in 1967, a year before he passed away, connecting me with history.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

                                                                A Grave in a Haystack Welcome back to my blog. Today, I will tell you about ...